Friday, April 25, 2014

Fit and Fab: My Fitness Journey...So Far

I started my fitness journey 5 weeks ago.  I finally got to the point that I was so unhappy with myself, clothes were only getting tighter, and my confidence level was low, that I realized I needed to make a change.  I had to be proactive with my life, my health, and my daily choices.  Having a summer beach vacation is definitely great motivation as well.

I downloaded the free app Couch Potato to 5K and have been running ever since.  Even though I am on my 5th week of running, I am on week 3 of the program.  I repeat each week to help build up my stamina.  It's a great program that gradually increases your running time so you can run a 5K by the end of it.  My goal is not necessarily to run a 5K, but to get fit in the process.

I also started Camp Gladiator this week that is led by a good friend.  Not gonna lie, it's been tough.  But I wanted to work on my upper body to alternate with the running I've been doing.  I have been sore all week, but the exercises are mixed up so we are not doing the same thing over and over again.  Plus, everyone is super encouraging and ready to cheer you on.

We had a timed fitness test today that we will repeat at the end of the month.  By the end of the test, we had done 876 burpees (not really, but it felt like it) and ran/walked 2 miles.  Of course, lots of other exercises were thrown in, some I liked, some I didn't.

And by the end, when I finished my last burpee, amongst the encouragement of others, I was ready to cry.  Not because I was upset or sad, but because I did it.  I proved to myself that I could endure this tough fitness journey by just pushing myself.


I could not have possibly come this far without the support of others.  I've only told a couple close friends what I've been doing.  They are in my corner and have helped push me along.  I thank them and love them for it.  I've joined a fitness Facebook group to stay accountable.  And I've definitely said my share of prayers.  I say them when I run, I say them when I can barely move because of the soreness, I say them all the time because my faith is what's keeping me going.

Of course, Craig has been there every single step of the way.  Most of the time, running right beside me.  He started running a week after I did.  He's enjoyed it too.  I know Craig will always love me, no matter what I look like.  He's known me since I was 12 years old, so he's definitely seen all the changes, transformations, and many hairstyles I've been through.  But he also didn't like hearing me talk so negatively about myself all the time.  So, I really love being able to do this with him.



To date, I've lost 7lbs. and 15 inches overall.  I've seen and can feel the changes happening.  Clothes that were starting to fit tight are now starting to fit loose.  Places on my body that used to feel jiggly, are now feeling firm.  Health issues that I've been dealing with over the past year, are now starting to go away.  My confidence that used to be low, is now starting to rise. Challenges that I never thought were possible to overcome, are no longer a challenge to me.  I drink my daily intake of water, I make better food choices,  I watch my portions, and I've made a complete lifestyle change.

I still have jiggly parts.  I still have inches to lose and pounds to shed.  I still struggle with running and exercise.  But I'm doing it.  I'm pushing myself and I feel encouraged and motivated.  And it's all going to be worth it.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome Des, just awesome. Jim and I made a permanent lifestyle change a couple of months ago when we were introduced to the NutriBullet. He has lost 16 pounds and I have lost 11. No exercise (although I highly recommend it!), but it's so much easier - who knew?! We each have to find our own way that works. Meanwhile, we are always our own worst critic. Just believe that everyone who KNOWS you, LOVES you, and is rooting for you!!!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!