Saturday, December 20, 2014

Fit and Fab: Why I ditched the Couch Potato App

I love the Couch Potato to 5K app.  LOVE it!!!  I started it, repeated each week twice, and completed it with a great sense of accomplishment.  To know I could run a 5K when I could barely run 1 minute in the beginning was such a great feeling.

But what's next?  I decided to start on the Couch Potato to 10K program and dowloaded the app for that.  It repeats all of the 5K program and then increases the time so you can complete a 10K or 6.2 miles.

But it wasn't working for me.

The beginning weeks were too easy for me (I never thought I would say that).  Once I started keeping track of the distance, I realized it was only 2 to 2 1/4 miles.  It was simply not challenging enough (I never thought I would say that either).

So, I ditched the app.

I remember Saturday, November 1 so clearly.  I decided to go for a late morning run, not use the app, and only keep track of the distance.  My goal was simply to run 3 miles.  After completing a 5K in August, I knew I could handle this distance.

And I did.

I ended up running 4 miles.  I only stopped because I had to get ready for Preston's baseball game.

I didn't want to stop.

I wanted to keep running.  I wasn't feeling tired, the weather was great, and my emotions were running high just knowing that I was able to run further than I ever have.  I've never used the app again.

My goal by the end of this month is to run 9 miles.  I listen to my body and do stop occasionally to walk during my runs.  I stay hydrated and I push myself to complete my goals.  The first mile is always the toughest and just a huge mental game.  However, once I can get focused and get in a zone, the rest of the miles seem to go by quickly.

I decided to not sign up for a 10K.  I'm running that on my own, even though it is nice to be in the company of others for a fun competition.  I'm going straight for the half-marathon.  There is a big half-marathon on March 1 and I will be training for that.  Surprisingly, 13.1 miles does not seem too difficult for me.

I still do not consider myself a runner.  In fact, running is not at all my favorite thing to do.  However, it keeps me in shape and I continue to lose weight.  To date, I've lost 15 lbs, almost 30 inches, and I've gone down a pant and shirt size (two shirt sizes depending on the style).  I'm so thankful my body is able to handle running and I have not had any major physical issues.

I run simply to prove to myself that I could do it.  I made a goal at the end of March to complete the Couch Potato to 5K and I've gone far beyond that.  I stuck to it and did not quit or make excuses.  I will continue to make new goals for myself and perhaps inspire others along the way.  Many thanks to those that have been incredibly supportive and stayed by my side the entire time.  Your encouragement keeps me going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!