Monday, November 1, 2010

Wizard of Oz Party

It's Halloween and we had nothing to do. Or did we?

Our church had their Fall Festival on Friday night, which meant we didn't have any plans for Halloween. I decided to do something festive with the kids. I came across an advertisement in a Family Fun magazine for a Wizard of Oz party. Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have soooo much memorabilia from the movie that I will proudly display in my office/craft room when we get it completed. So, a Wizard of Oz party is what we had.

After the kids got up from their naps (I think Sunday naps should be a law), these goodies were waiting for them.


I had the kids make a lion mask. First, they had to paint a paper plate brown.

Then, they glued on brown chenille stems for whiskers, pom poms for cheeks and a nose, and googly eyes for the eyes. Notice Kaitlyn put on her Dorothy dress.


Here is Kaitlyn's lion. Of course, she had to use pink and purple somewhere on the face.


Here is Preston's lion.


I made rainbow cupcakes since Dorothy sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". I made the batter and divided it into six bowls. Each bowl was a different color of the rainbow. Then, I just layered the batter in the cupcake liners and baked them. As a side note, the rainbow had a bigger part in the original script of the movie, but it was edited out.


Here are the baked cupcakes.


Next, we played Scarecrow Bingo. I found this cute game at the preschool where I work. I knew this would be perfect for our party. I made little flashcards with each shape and its color to use as the calling cards.


Here are Kaitlyn and Preston playing the game.


Preston is so excited that he got to say "Scarecrow Bingo".


I found some Tin Man coloring pages online. Notice Kaitlyn doesn't have her dress on but has her hair in two pigtails. She said that's how Dorothy's hair looks too.


There's a pizza place close to our house called Papa Murphy's. You order the pizza and bake it at home. They always have great deals on their pizza and it tastes so good. For Halloween, they have a jack-o-lantern pizza (they have heart-shaped pizzas for Valentine's). It has nothing to do with the Wizard of Oz but it's festive.


I found a pumpkin mold at the dollar store. It would be great for chocolate candies, but I used it to make ice cubes for our Witch's Brew.


The kids are drinking the Witch's Brew with their new pumpkin straws. The brew is just orange soda and raspberry Crystal Light (we buy the store brand). Just mix it together and it's done.

Here is the finished rainbow cupcake. So delicious!


Afterwards, we put on the movie and waited for the Trick or Treaters (we had only about a dozen). It was a very fun night and perhaps the start of a new family tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!