Monday, August 22, 2011

We Survived!

The first day of school came and went and it was an emotional roller coaster! Kaitlyn started 2nd grade, but knew she would be fine. She had several of her old friends in her class. Preston, however, worried us a little. He can be so shy and hesitant to try anything new. Even though he kept saying he didn't want to go to 'big school', we tried our best to make it sound as exciting as possible.

They both woke up to their alarms (the first time for Preston) and eagerly got ready for school. Here are their school bags. Preston used this backpack for Pre-K, but it looks brand new still. So, we didn't buy another one. The iCarly image on Kaitlyn's messenger bag from last year completely came off. So, she asked for just a cute tote bag. I got this at Sam Moon for $10.



They picked out their first day of school outfits from Target. Still smiling!



Handsome Kindergartner!



Beautiful 2nd grader!



Here's the school!



I took this picture of the kids on one of the benches in front of the school. Right after I took it, a photographer from the Keller Citizen newspaper came up to us and said she took a picture of me taking a picture of the kids. Then, she got our names. Soooo, we might be in our local paper!



We took Preston to class first. He picked out his cubby for his back pack.



Then, he found his name on the table and sat down. All of the chairs have a denim cover with pockets for their supplies. Preston is still smiling. And then...


Complete meltdown. I started saying my good-byes to Preston and started tearing up. He already had red eyes and his 'whiney lip'. Craig and Kaitlyn said good-bye and then he started crying. We explained how much fun he was going to have and we needed to take Kaitlyn to her class, blah, blah, blah, nothing helped. We tried just walking out the door, but he would chase after us. I waited in the hall with Kaitlyn and Craig took him back inside. I don't even know how many times Craig tried to walk out, but Preston would get up crying and running after him! But we were not alone. There were several boys in his class doing the exact same thing. I guess we all raised Mama's Boys!!! Finally, a Teacher's Aide came in and took care of Preston for us.

We walked Kaitlyn to class and dropping her off took about 2 seconds. She walked right in and already had her designated desk with her friends. I took a picture and this is her "Mom, get out of here already" look. So different from her brother!


We went to the Cheers and Tears breakfast afterwards and talked with other parents. Then, it was off to reality. Craig went to work and I had a dentist appointment. I also worked on some surprises for the kids.


I got this placesetting idea from Pinterest. So, I thought it would be fun to make for this special day. I printed out this week's special menu on notebook paper and stapled it to construction paper.


I got a large sheet of construction paper and placed the menu in the middle. I added Kaitlyn and Preston's name to the top right corner. I also made a special pocket out of notebook paper for our silverware. They each got a new water bottle as well.





I also made pink lemonade and baked Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. So yummy!!!



I picked them up from school and they had so much to tell me. Even Preston!!! They also loved coming home to their new cups and treats.





I'm praying for a much easier day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!