Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Audition

In my previous post, I briefly mentioned that I was performing in a show. I performed with the Regal Opera Co. on Sept. 16 and 18. Yes, I know it's been a few weeks since then and I'm just now blogging about it. It took me a full week to recover from the show and I feel like I've been playing catch up since then. So, here you go now.

Pam Cochrane is the director/founder of Regal. She writes original pieces usually for the Fall production. This time it was "The Audition: or The Next American Opera Idol". Taking a cue from TV, we have 3 judges and audition our songs in front of them. Now, not all of the songs were arias. In fact, I do not consider myself an opera singer. I prefer musical theater and jazz. Thankfully, there was a mix of arias, musicals, and even a country song! It was a great show and a phenomenal cast. By far, this was the best cast I've ever worked with and I miss every single one of them. There was no bickering, no divas (I've worked with divas before and they are a pain!), lots of laughter, and we felt like a big family. Sigh. I really miss them and hope to work with all of them again.

So, here is a small glimpse of the show. People like to know what happens backstage and why we have such an early call time before the show starts. There's a lot going on: make-up, hair, warm-ups, run throughs, and usually we 'circle up'. That is usually our serious time together, encouraging one another, and praying before each show. I cherish those times.

This is Anicia, our great stage director, applying make-up to one of the men, Steve. I have worked with Anicia since 2004 in several shows. She even let me perform in "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" while I was pregnant with Preston! She is the best and I love every time I get to do a show with her.

Gina does the hair for those that need help. She attached my hair piece for the last show we did. She also performs and has a great Soprano voice.



Stephanie is curling her own hair. There are always curling irons, straighteners, make-up trays, jewelry, etc. laying all over.



Backstage snack: a caramel rice cake. I can't ever eat big meals before a show. I've always been like that. So usually after every show, I'm STARVING!!! One of the cast members brought these and we snacked on them between Act I and Act II.



The rest of the pictures were taken by a photographer that donates her time. She does a great job!


Here is our accompanist, Dean. He did not have any lines in the show, but made a ton of facial expressions and used some comedic skills on the piano. He was the best performer in the show!! In fact, as the curtain opens for Act I, Dean is caught eating at the piano! Hilarious!



We also had 3 judges. They all sang in the show as well.



We had a country song, "Ring of Fire". Patrick has one of the best Bass voices I know. In Act II, he also sings an aria.


Here is our first group number, "The Prayer". Very somber and serious.


I had some dialogue throughout the show.



I finally got to sing a duet! This is the biggest part I've had. Crystal and I sang "Marry The Man Today" from Guys and Dolls. I enjoyed singing this.






This is our group number for the end of Act I, "A Comedy Tonight" from A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum.



Jazz hands!!!


These girls sang a song from the Mikado. Yes, this is the Charlie Angels pose at the end of their song.



Malcolm and Steve sang "You Can Do It" from The Producers. It was so funny.



Pam, the director/founder, sang a beautiful aria.


We're so happy because we're singing the final group number.


We have to make our kick line, minus the kicks!



This is our very last pose after the curtain call.





I had so many supportive friends that came to see the show and I will always be so appreciative for that. I received the loudest applause both nights and the cast was jealous of my fan club (not really). Now, it's back to my normal, busy laugh and on to the Christmas programs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!