Friday, December 31, 2010

O Christmas Tree

I've had several people ask me about my Christmas tree. Then, they have a surprised look when I tell them I have 3 Christmas trees. But trust me, they're not fancy and I didn't have to spend a lot on any of them.


All my trees are fake. I don't like real trees for several reasons: 1) I can't stand the smell of pine. I blame it on the fact that I spent a lot of time as a child at my cousin's cabin in Lake Tahoe (I know, poor me). Although the scenery was beautiful and I loved getting away from my house in Reno, I could not stand the smell of all the pine trees! 2) Real trees are expensive and you have to get a new one every year. We've spent less than $100 for all 3 trees, including the ornaments. 3) You have to take care of real trees. I don't have a green thumb. I cannot keep plants alive. In fact, I don't have any plants in my house. There are some pretty flowers on our front porch, but Craig takes care of those. Plus, I don't want to have to worry about my tree drying out and possibly starting a fire.


Here is tree #1. This is the first tree Craig and I had as a married couple. It was given to us by my parents. It's 5 1/2 ft. tall and it's in our game room upstairs. We call this the "kids tree" because we put all their homemade ornaments on it. We also put old ornaments that Craig and I made growing up on the tree. The tree has flashing lights so you only see part of them in the second picture.


We got tree #2 at a Black Friday sale at Jo-ann's for $30. Great deal! Then, we went to Hobby Lobby and bought 2 packages of red and gold ornaments for $10 each. It was enough to cover the whole tree. This tree sits in our formal area.



Finally, tree #3 is by far my favorite. The color on the walls in our family room is called Velvety Merlot. It's a deep red color and we love it! It really makes the room look cozy. Since we bought this house in 2008, I wanted a white Christmas tree. I thought it would be a nice accent to the room. Back in October, I was driving around looking at garage sales. At the first garage sale I went to, I noticed a box sitting to the side. As I looked closer, I saw it was a white Christmas tree! Immediately, I asked how much it cost. I quickly handed over my money when I was told it was $10!!! TEN DOLLARS!!!! Best garage sale deal ever!
When it was time to put up the trees, we didn't have any decorations for the tree. With red walls and a white tree, I wanted my favorite color for the ornaments-black. I wanted only black ornaments on the tree. Do you know how hard it is to find black ornaments? There not available everywhere. I drove to Hobby Lobby and found some. I bought $10 worth of black ornaments (4 boxes). My sister-in-law actually had 3 boxes of black ornaments that her daughter left behind. So, I got those too. Later, when I went to buy a black star topper and Christmas tree skirt at Hobby Lobby, they were sold out. So, I'll just get them next year. I'll get some more ornaments too.



On Christmas Eve, a family at church gave me a gift as a thank you for all my ministry work. It was black ornaments with some gold accents. Love it!!! Can't wait to use them next year.


So, those are my trees. I would actually like more. Believe it or not, I want a black tree in our bedroom since we will be painting the walls two shades of gray (no, I'm not demonic as my family says). Stay tuned next Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following us through our many adventures. We look forward to hearing from you!!!